Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Why Emergent? (the short version)

Some circles criticize those of us who prefer an “emergent” path of the Christian faith. I’m not sure why that is. Are we that easy of a target? Are we really that misguided in our efforts and hopes for the practice of the Christian faith during our time in history? I don’t believe so. Let me say this, I believe God has called me to be emergent because of one word that is used consistently and compellingly. That is, conversation. That’s what attracted me to emergent in the beginning. I decided to attend the Emergent convention in Nashville as few years ago. Furthermore, I decided to go with an open mind, not to be the normal cynic I can be too often. I went to listen, but in the end, found myself in the conversation. I challenged some things and affirmed others. I learned a lot there and the learning continues. I think of it as God’s “call” because of something I read this morning.


"[God’s] appeals come through the conversations of good people, or from sermons,
or through the reading of good books; and there are many other ways, of which
you have heard, in which God calls us." (Interior Castle, Teresa of Avila)

That says a lot.

Criticize all you want. But, the conversations/sermons/books I’ve experienced in the past few years might as well have been a burning bush.

2 comments:

Jeff said...

I think, more than anything, the growth of the Emergent movement within the church has revealed that discussion (dissent?) has been stifled. I think the growth of the movement is forcing those conversations to happen and the dissenters to be listened to.

The result can only be good for the church.

Kate said...

TM -

I think it's really ironic that you posted this today because of a post I made yesterday.

"Furthermore, I decided to go with an open mind, not to be the normal cynic I can be too often. I went to listen, but in the end, found myself in the conversation. I challenged some things and affirmed others. I learned a lot there and the learning continues."

I feel like that is exactly where I am in all this right now...learning, questioning, discussing. And like Jeff said, I fully believe the result of all this can only be good for the church.