Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Buddha-bellied buoyancy

Here's how meaningful required worship must have been for one of my former students. The impact I made was remarkable to say the least.

After church this week I headed to visit some folks in the hospitals. I stopped to get a burger on the way. When I went to the counter for a refill on my diet coke, there was a girl standing in line to order and pointing at me. She looked and said, "I think I know you. Don't I?" I did recognize her, but before I could help her she blurted out, "You were my swim coach in high school. Weren't you?" "No," I said. "I was your campus minister when you were a student at Campbell. Remember CEP? That's where you saw me."

We reminisced about all those great Tuesdays and Thursdays and what an impact they had on her life.

Then, I went to the mall and bought me some swim goggles and a speedo.

4 comments:

Justin said...

CEP? that's one of those "words" that trace and i swore we would never say in one another's presence again after our requirements were completed. Taboo....brought back painful memories... altho i have to say, i got more studying done during that time than any other time my first 2 years @ Campbell!

Unknown said...

I can resonate with that after only one semester of CUW. People have vague recollections of seeing me somewhere then suddenly "you're the CUW guy, right?"

It definitely puts you in another echelon of fame/infamy, depending on how you look at it (probably the latter). Somewhere Roger Williams is plotting my demise...not that there's anything wrong with that.

Mip said...

i'm still trying to figure out where the title fits in there...you just like alliteration, don't you.

Justin said...

hey, yeah! what's with your B Alliteration...if I remember correctly you had the same 3 word-B fetish at my ordination:

Bono, Buechner, and Bowman:)

I think deep down there's some southern baptist preacher wanting to get out?????

ha! (i know you hate to hear that!)
peace!