Wednesday, July 11, 2007

will the circle be postmodern, by and by lord, by and by

After a lot of thought, prayer, journal writing, etc., Kim and I have decided to put our kids up for adoption...not really. It's something else I thought I'd never do. (On the topic of "thought I'd never do," I'll have to save that to post later.)

We're hoping to go back to Zebulon, NC where I'll work on a church staff full-time. Yes. That's right. I'm going to be working on a church staff. All the details are pending the process a church needs to maintain order, but it's safe to say that it will happen in some form or fashion.

I was also interviewed and invited to be a resident chaplain at WakeMed for the next year. Somehow, I thought that given this choice I had, I would have gone with the hospital which is a great place. I have no doubt that would have been a profound experience. In the short time I was there, it was a holy and meaningful.

But, I must say, I'm surprised. Surprised at how God works to bring someone "full-circle." (Thanks for that image, John.) When I went back "just for the summer," I thought I'd find an institutional church rooted in modernism. However, what I found was a loving community of Christians who are making a way to serve God in the name of Jesus. They have succeeded and they have failed. They are dreaming and and turning dreams into deeds. They have "Sunday school" and "Learning Communities." They are traditional as well as innovative.

And now the "they" becomes "we" and it feels great to use that word. I am eager to see how the person I've developed into will find ways to follow Christ and lead others in such a context.

In other news, I am still planning (though plans for me change with the wind) to take the counseling classes I had originally planned on to get licensed in some fashion as a counselor/therapist. (That means, however, I've put Jiffy Lube and Lowes on hold at least for a while.)

Finally, Kim and I love our children dearly. Bailey is excited about this. And Zoe just needs a bigger room. But I will donate a very friendly cat to anyone who needs such a burden.

4 comments:

Justin said...

Congrats TM, I am so happy for you... I guess those things we say we'd never do come back to bite us in the tail sometimes, but at least it's always in a good way! The church sounds great, just the kind of place that you would feel loved and accepted for who you are, yet is still in many ways as progressive (i don't mean that in the conservative/progressive label way, but the willing to do whatever they can to do God's service even if it means trying something new (gasp!)) as you are!
you know that those who love you, ali and i included, only wanted you to be somewhere where you are happy, accepted, and being effective in YOUR PERSONAL CALLING in your life. we are glad that, even though it may be in the most unexpected place (the institutional church) it is where you feel like you are being called at this moment in your life. Peace, my friend, is often a slice of heaven in our own lives, and you def. deserve that!
congrats!

matthew said...

word

Christina said...

We're thrilled about this new leg of the journey for you (though Matt is sad because you've left him as the only male resident *grin*).

So, a move to Zebulon (or, at least Wake county) is in the works? Let us know how we can help. We're experienced movers (and shakers). ;0)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.