Friday, March 16, 2007

simply holy, wholly simple

I was on-call at the hospital this week, Sunday to be specific. A standing responsibility as chaplain on a Sunday is to lead a chapel service in two locations of the hospital. In one setting, six patients and I came together to meet God. No one arrived without help from a nursing aide and I greeted each one as they were brought in.

One had a hip replacement. Another had heart problems. Others had a stroke, an accident, or some situation they didn’t offer this congregation of saints and sinners. From the first few moments, I wanted to take off my shoes. The holiness of this gathering was almost as visible as the tears that it caused.

I shared a reading from Psalm 139 suggesting that there’s no place we can go to escape the presence and power of God. Before I could ask, others starting sharing their stories, most of which were told through tears. When I was trying to bring things to a close, I asked if anyone had a song they’d like to offer making some joke about not wanting to sing myself. As most everyone laughed, one patient quietly said, “I’ve got something to offer.” And he began to sing. As large tears marked his rough face, his offering marked my soul.

What God has for me, it is for me.
What God has for me, it is for me.
I know without a doubt, that he will bring me out.
What God has for me, it is for me.

(“It is for Me,” Miami Mass Choir)

I prayed our closing prayer calling each person by name. What struck me was that for about 45 minutes that Sunday morning, I was with the church. We normally say “at” church. But, that doesn’t seem to fit much anymore. Church isn’t a place. Nope. For me, church is a communal reality, a way of living, and a way of being human.

Simple stories.
A simple song.
A simple gathering of flesh and blood, hands and feet, hearts and minds.
Simply beautiful.
Simply meaningful.

Simply holy.
Wholly simple.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been needing to talk to you about the whole Duke thing. When do you think we could get together?

Justin said...

TM, i am sooooo glad you're back blogging! It is nice to know that your wisdom and struggles are just a bookmarked click away! i now have something to look forward to again!

I to have come back from a break. I'm finally settled (did i mention i did my first funeral the week after my ordination service? yeh, scary)but now i am beginning to explore once more my ponderings, wonderings, and experimentations within my own beliefs and philosophy of ministry. basically, i'm back to wondering how to get Christians off their ass and out in the world building the KOG! well... as you said, I still havn't found what i'm looking for! well anyway, my blog's back up if you wanna keep tabs. miss ya man!
lvj

Anonymous said...

TM,just a bit of curiosity... How long did you wrestle with going into hospital chaplaincy before leaving your job at Campbell?

Terry-Michael said...

Well, it was about a year or so when I was thinking of leaving Campbell and I never completed any units of CPE. So, that goal of mine is what lead to the major change.