Wednesday, July 05, 2006

taste and see...living like a refugee

Sunday morning at church my oldest daughter asked if she could take communion. Now, remember she's not been baptized, confirmed, or anything of that nature. Pausing during worship, I took out my "notes" journal (to be distinguished from my "narrative" journal.) I don't really refer to either in this way. Most of the time it's "the little journal" and “the other journal.” But, you probably get the picture of the difference. Anyway, here's what I jotted down...

7/2/06

Is the Eucharist a rite of initiation or is baptism the only one?

I think that taking communion can be a profession of faith as well as a symbol of faith.

Can Bailey have the Lord's Supper?

By all means!!
*****************
I guess I'll be labeled a heretic for sure, but for some reason that doesn't bother me in this case (or any others to be honest). Bailey is too curious and hopeful to give her some doctrinal supposition on initiation, rites and rituals. I am afraid of what that would do to her spiritual curiosity which, as I have said before, is just as much a spiritual gift as anything else.

So, she took the bread up to her 9 year old mouth and placed it on her tongue. As it dissolved, she said, "Mmmm, that was good bread." As she held her cup (yes, the tiny baptist shot glasses), she quietly stared at it. I have no idea what she was thinking, but when the pastor gave us the liturgical nod to partake of the cup, Bailey didn't gulp it all down at once like most of us did. She took one little sip, then said, "Ahhh." She looked back at the rest of the cup's holy contents, paused, and then finished.

Am I a horrible theologian/father? Probably. Breaking with church tradition seems my style while simultaneously confessing a firm connection to the ancient church and her practices and teachings. But, never risking the chance to practice evangelism with my daughter. Inconsistent? Yeah, probably that too. But, constantly hoping that the Christian faith is more about discovery than dogma.

I reflect on Sunday morning's experience remembering the words of the Psalmist, "O taste and see that the Lord is good; happy are those who take refuge in him." (Ps. 34.8)

Taste and see...

7 comments:

Justin said...

I completely agree with you TM. I mean, why can't the Holy Spirit move in someone through the partaking of the bread and the cup? Shouldn't that be what is happening to everyone when they partake in this ritualistic act. Why is the experience of "eating the flesh" and "drinking th blood" exlusive at all? God forbid that someone who has not made a public profession of faith, been dunked, and signed up for church membership be denied any experience of allowing Christ to actually pass through the walled exterior of our bodies into our vulnerable interiors. Isn't this the purpose of evangelism anyway? Are not Christians supposed to find ways to help someone drop down their protective barriers and allow Christ to penitrate into the unproteted vacume of our souls? What more intimate way for Christ to do that than by physically acting out the symbolic act of Christ's presence and purpose in our lives?
I applaud you! One day your daughter will come to have a better understanding of her eventual faith because you let her come about it in her own time and her own way, and you didn't try to circumvent the Holy Spirit. Instead, you allowed her curiosity and her experiences to be a catalyist for the HS to speak to her.

Anonymous said...

Mr. TM, As the resident heathen in the area it is good to see you have moved toward the heretical. It is much more fun.

It does interest me that your first thoughts regarding your daughters desire to partake in communion moved toward the issue of her baptism rather than her reasons for partaking in the event itself.

Now, I recall when I was nine the reason I wanted to partake in communion was because I really wanted some bread and grape juice because the smelly old man refused to stop talking and I was hungry. Also I was also rather fat and just not all that bright. I do not recall how old I was when I took my first communion but I do recall the event. I can remember my mother explaining to me what it meant and what I was doing.
Oddly, I can remember it sounding a wee bit silly, because it did not make much sense, I just did not see how wine turned into blood and bread turned into the body but I accepted it. I embraced what my mother told me and tried to understand what it meant.

Today, I am far more aware of what communion really means (kinda), and I am readily aware that I did not truly understand what I was doing that day many years ago. Yet, I tried to understand what I was being told, it was interesting and it meant something to me. It was a step in the discovery of my own faith.

I think you were right to allow you daughter to take communion not just because I like to refer to the rules/traditions "the church" has associated with vestiges like communion and baptism as poppycock, but also because her desire to take communion does express some type of curiosity or a desire to learn and understand. I am no theologian, but I would say or believe that faith is far more about discovery than dogma.

I believe one must discover their faith for themselves and not simply base their faith upon some prescribed doctrine/dogma they are told to believe. It is quite possible your daughter is beginning to discover her own faith, something that I believe God finds truly glorifying.

But then again I am merely the local heathen so I could be wrong.

Also, it is good to see a link to back porch music on your blog, because NPR does truly rock.

Anonymous said...

Interesting entry. I wish churches would just make a practice of sharing meals and hospitality on a weekly basis as a way a celebrating the Eucharist. I mean, the bread and wine are symbolic and important but I think that hospitality is one of those spiritual practices the church has forgotten. What do you think, TM?

Sorry about missing our appointment. I had so much stuff going on. I hope you got my message!

Check out my new blog!!

Adam said...

Mr. Newell,

I agree with your descision. I believe that the Holy Spirit works through the young ones just as much as he does with adults, as long as they can understand what they are doing. I have worked with children for several years now, at churches and other events, and I have seen them do some amazing things, because the believe in Christ with such a pure and untainted love and trust. I came to Christ later that it appears your daughter has, but I know that children understand a lot more than most churches give the credit for. Let the little ones come to Him :)

I am truly glad to be able to read this listing, and to have some more time of discussion!

In Him,

Adam Hamlin

Richard said...

You need to read and understand the significance of observing the Lord's Supper (ordinance not sacriment), to see if she (or anyone who is not a disciple of Christ) should take part in it. Verses 27 to 29 focus mainly on this issue. I've included the NIV translation (a commonly used modern version) below for you to read. I think you daughter didn't want to feel excluded from something most of the other corporate worshippers were taking part in, but giving in to a childs requests without full understanding of its meaning or purpose, only dimenishes the reason for its' observance.

1 Corinthians 11:23For I received from the Lord what I also passed on to you: The Lord Jesus, on the night he was betrayed, took bread, 24and when he had given thanks, he broke it and said, "This is my body, which is for you; do this in remembrance of me." 25In the same way, after supper he took the cup, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in my blood; do this, whenever you drink it, in remembrance of me." 26For whenever you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord's death until he comes.

27Therefore, whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of sinning against the body and blood of the Lord. 28A man ought to examine himself before he eats of the bread and drinks of the cup. 29For anyone who eats and drinks without recognizing the body of the Lord eats and drinks judgment on himself.

Anonymous said...

TM: "But, constantly hoping that the Christian faith is more about discovery than dogma."

Courageous hope. Good hope.

Anonymous said...

i just read what 'richard' wrote, and i find it amusing that he actually thinks he understands the 'full significance' of what the eucharist means... "well, i read what paul wrote, didn't i?" he might retort. however, does that actually mean that he understands it? i believe in a faith that promotes humility even more than it does 'right doctrine.'