Tuesday, September 07, 2004

Are We There Yet?

I cannot help but think that early explorers such as Ferdinand Magellan, Christopher Columbus, Vasco da Gama, and many others set out on their quests without the slightest idea where they would end up. Being an explorer is like that. It’s adventurous, risky, and even scary. Furthermore, as you set sail, I suspect that the primary focus is on the journey more so than the destination.

Faith is the same way. While there are many from a modern perspective who turn faith into a destination, my postmodern hunch is that there are countless pilgrims, pioneers, and explorers who do not (cannot?) have a clue where this journey called faith will end. And this poses no problems for us postmodern mariners. Let me be more specific.

Faith is about taking risks instead of finding security.
Faith is being adventurous not apprehensive.
Faith is facing the fear of uncertainty.

I have experienced people of faith who have all the answers. They know exactly where they’re going, how to get there, and how long it will take. But I wonder, isn’t it rather easy to have faith when you have it all figured out. Is that even faith at all?

Faith is hard. Faith is not knowing where we’re going, but getting in the boat anyway. Paul Tillich said, “Doubt is not the opposite of faith. It is an element of faith.” I like that. I like that because, like you, I have doubts. Like you, I have questions.

Perhaps the Indigo Girls put it best, “There’s more than one answer to these questions pointing me in a crooked line.” I don’t imagine that the explorers sailed all that straight. Why do we expect to do so? Maybe more than once, the crew would ask their captains, “Do you have any idea where we are?” And the captain might say, “I know exactly where we are. We’re on a journey.”

Faith is an exploration.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's funny that you would post this today. I feel like I have been in the middle of a maze of confusion about things. I used to be a control freak, frankly, because I was taught to be a control freak by my parents. And they still try to con...that's another story.

My point is, I think we are called to risk and thus rely on God, or have faith. Otherwise, what is the point of all of this? Why do we live our lives as Christians if we are not truly relying on God on an every day basis? If we can just get by on our own, and only need God as "bad times insurance", then frankly, why are we wasting so much energy on it.

I hate what Christianity seems to be to most people. Life insurance. Christ said that he came so that we might have life, and have it to the full.

I guess where I've been lately is asking myself...what does that mean? Are we simply supposed to have a relationship with God? Are we supposed to follow where he leads? Are we supposed to use him as hell insurance?

I definitely don't know all the answers, but I do believe that there is alot of biblical evidence that when we are Christians, we are supposed to shift our entire thought process from the ways of this world to God's way.

I want that reckless, adventurous, dangerous life of faith, seeking God all the time. My prayer is that when my number is called, I will dive off the cliff, rather than standing on the precipice, shaking in fear.

-jeff