Wednesday, August 11, 2004

What's "more?"

One day this summer, I was driving to pick up my daughter from day camp. On any given day, you can find the radio dial in my truck set to listen to WUNC, my source for NPR, Car Talk, Prairie Home Companion, and Back Porch Music. This day was different. Having become bored with the news that Republicans and Democrats cannot get along, I switched the station to the Triangle’s "Hit Music Channel." I found that the cure to boredom is inspiration.

The song that rocked me back to my teenage days was “Meant to Live” by Switchfoot. The next day a friend gave me a copy of their CD, “The Beautiful Letdown,” and I have been inspired ever since. (My daughter has even enjoyed some head-bangin’ to these tunes and, like her dad, she likes it loud!)

Beyond their stimulating rock and roll music, their lyrics are deep and insightful giving (at least me) a glimpse of a postmodern perspective.

We want more than this world’s got to offer.
We want more than the wars of our fathers.

Critics of the first postmodern generation, Gen X, label us as the “me” generation. By this they mean that we are self-centered and only interested in getting more and more and more for ourselves. And one might see that message in these lines. I do not. The desire for “more” is qualitative, not quantitative. We want a deeper life. We want life that has more meaning. We want something better for the world than buildings that crumble, companies that are unjust, and institutions that corrupt. What’s “more?” One answer could be community. Community that is strong, just, and incorruptible.

What’s “more?” You tell me.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very insightful. You just might have put into words what we've all been feeling.

Anonymous said...

Yes, to a certain extent, we are a self serving society. But the term more does not have to be referred to as a negative word. To me, wanting more is merely a phrase that shows how goal oriented this society is. As long as we strive for more, we will reach our dreams.

Good one, Terry-Michael. So insightful.

Anonymous said...

i just think it's cool you're listening to switchfoot.

Anonymous said...

TM,
You're right on with the Switchfoot post. I don't think there is any other band who's lyrics resonate with my experience more than them. They exploit the meaninglessness of today's society and culture and, more importantly, offer hope and redemption in the message of Christ. They are one of the few "Christian" bands (along with Jars of Clay or maybe that Mallonee guy) who I actually bother to listen to.
From one Camel/Blue Devil to another,
Studious Steve